I think we can all agree that gyms can get a little intimidating, specially if you are a newbie at the gym. And if you are a female, even worse, being that the main population in there is male.
Weight training alone will make you feel more confident, but first you have to be able to feel comfortable stepping into the gym. Where we go wrong is over thinking the situation. We start to imagine all the types of scenarios where something can go wrong, and this will get you nowhere. This can often intervene with your ability to get in shape.
I remember when I first started my journey, I couldn’t even go to the gym by myself. I always had to go with a partner, because I always felt like I didn’t know what I was doing. But eventually I decided that I had to get out of my comfort zone, and started going alone. It has worked out amazingly since then.
So here are some tips that can help you get a little more comfortable when you start going to the gym:
- Prepare yourself. Decide the workout that you will be doing beforehand. Watch videos, if necessary, so that you know the proper way to do each exercise. Mimic the movements to make sure you know how they feel. I always do this and my friend Abby always makes fun of me for it. But I highly think that this will help you a lot. But you don’t want to get to the gym and wandering around for half an hour trying to figure out what you want to do.
- Go with a friend until you feel more confident. Even better if they have some type of gym experience. This way they can help you with techniques.
- You need to get out of your head that people go to the gym to look at you. They don’t, trust me. These people are busy getting their own workout in to notice if you are making a mistake.
- Everyone messes up at times. Even people who have been lifting for years, they’ve made mistakes too. So just relax.
- Ask for help if you need it. Don’t be embarrassed. We all started the same way. Most people are actually more than willing to help.
- Stop looking at others and comparing yourself to them. Everybody and every body is different. It is normal for you not to be able to lift the same amount that the person next to you is doing. Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle. Remember to concentrate on your form and not trying to outfit the person next to you.
- Consider trying a few classes. Most gyms offer free classes with your membership. This can be a good way to get active until you are more familiar with what to do. Plus, you can meet a few new people here.
- Create a playlist. This is very simple. What better way to enjoy your workout without worrying about anything else, when you are listening to your favorite tunes?
- Look good and feel good. Wear a workout outfit that makes you feel confident. This is no different from every day life. The better you look, the better you feel.
- Take a quick gym selfie to show that fire confidence.
- Remember why you went in the first place. Remember that you are there for you. So pat yourself on the back for making it. You deserve a “You go girl”.
If you need help on starting your journey, a nutrition or workout program, visit my programs page and contact me so that we can get you started. Plus, don’t forget to Join My Mailing List to get your FREE PDF on a few extra Tips, and receive any updates on more free goodies and new products coming.
What are some things that helped you feel confident when you first started going to the gym?