Having low self-esteem and self-confidence makes it impossible to be yourself. I remember a few years back how one of my main wishes was to gain my confidence back because I was losing sense of who I was.
As I mentioned on my first post WHO AM I, I shared how not long ago I went through a rough break up that left me in a dark place. This relationship was all I cared about, I invested all of my energy into it and forgot who I was in the process. So the moment it ended I was completely lost. I felt like I didn’t know what I liked anymore, I had no purpose, I lost tons of friends because of it, I distanced myself from family, I had no desire to do anything, I was living day by day not knowing what I wanted from life.
Basically, I was in desperate need of gaining my confidence back. But how? I had no clue what to do. Some people may say, “Well, just be confident in yourself.” Yeah…. that’s easier said than done. There is no magical switch you can turn your confidence ON and OFF with. So that advice was not very helpful. At all.
At this point, I was starting a nutrition program with my sisters because I had gained a few pounds due to everything that I was going through. I am an extreme stress eater as you may have read on AVOID CRAVINGS. I was able to drop the pounds I needed to lose, and at the moment I felt like this helped me gain some confidence back, and although it did, it wasn’t what completely did it for me.
I remember I then went to this one event for the company I was doing the program with, and they spoke about something called Personal Development. This term was like a different language to me. Personal Development is positive things that you do/listen to/read/write/say on a daily basis that help you improve yourself. PD helps enhance the quality of your life. Now, I had listened to motivational videos before, but I never saw it as something to do on a daily basis to improve myself.
So, because I am a good student, and like I said I was in desperate need, I started doing my daily PD. Because if you don’t believe in yourself, then how can others believe in you? I listened to this book called The Secret and many others. Well, while reading these books, listening to the videos, I learned about different things that I can do to get my confidence back.
I will share briefly on here what these tips are, however, throughout the next few weeks, I want to go into more detail on each. Follow my blog so that you get the notification when I post about each tip. I will be concentrating on one tip per post, to help you really understand each one a bit more. I really hope you find something useful from this blog that helps you improve and maintain your own level of confidence.
Here they are:
- Set goals and Take action. Something I used to do all the time was come up with an idea or plan, but never do it. I would always over think it instead of acting on it. But actually getting it done helps you have that feeling of accomplishment and it boosts your confidence, even if it’s by a little bit.
- Face your fears. The way to develop confidence into something is by getting out of your comfort zone, facing your fears and doing it. Pushing through those self-limiting beliefs you have had since little. Doing things that scare you is where you’ll be able to build your confidence.
- Realize that not everything has to be perfect. Fear of failure can hold you back from doing what you want. You have to learn how to not let it be something that breaks you down, instead something you can grow from. This is important for the growth of your self-confidence and overall as a human being.
- Get to know who you are. To build your confidence up, you have to get to know yourself better. When you know more about yourself and the things that you want out of life, you will have more confidence in what you do. Find your Me Time, whether that is reading a book, dancing to your favorite song, a long bath, working out, write. Find what you like to do, and do it for at least 30mins – an hour. Doing this will help you disconnect from the world for a few minutes, and will help you refocus and boost your mood.
- Surround yourself with like-minded people. Bringing yourself around people with a positive attitude and mindset will improve both your self-confidence and self-worth.
- Talk to yourself. Yes, I know. Fabely, are you crazy? Maybe a little, but this really does work. They are called Daily Affirmations. On a daily basis, stand in front of the mirror and say positive things to yourself. You may not believe it, but your body listens to what you say to it. Be kind to yourself.
- Change your mindset. Self confidence is a mindset that takes effort to maintain. It’s something that you need to master in order to change for the better. Believe in yourself in order to do it. Act the part.
- Crack a smile. Last but not least, smile. At everyone you see, at yourself. If there is one instant way to boost your confidence, it is by smiling.
This will of course take time. It may be an ongoing thing for your life. But get started now. Like I said, taking action is one of the things that will help you.
So I hope that you follow my blog and stick around each week to learn more about them, that you JOIN MY CHALLENGE, and actually start putting them into practice in your life. I will go into detail about each one, so that you implement one each week and see how it can help you improve yourself. Look at it as a weekly to do.
As this quote says, “When eating an elephant take one bite at a time.” If you have patience and perseverance, you are only steps away from a more confident you.
I will be doing this with you too. Let your girls know about this post. Let’s continue to build ourselves up, empower each other and become the beautiful Invincible Butterflies that we are.
By the way, next time you’re shopping on Amazon, be sure to use my link! Doing so is absolutely FREE for you, and a great way to support this blog!
Until next time my cuties!
Don’t forget to Join My Mailing List to continue getting updates on the How To Become More Confident series, to get your FREE PDF on a few extra Tips, and receive any updates on more free goodies and new products coming. Don’t forget to ask about my challenges, if you are looking to lose weight, gain muscle, join the Booty Challenge or the Confidence Challenge, whatever goal you have, just ask.
Personal Development Book recommendations to help you grow your confidence:
Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
The 5 Second Rule: Transform your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
The Power of Positive Thinking