Aloha!! Has this happened to you? You just had lunch, but then 30mins later you remember you have some chocolate in the fridge, so you eat it. Then another 30mins go by and you start craving something salty and as if they read your mind, your coworker comes in with some chips to offer. By the time you know it, you’ve had about 3million calories in just one sitting.
Well, that was me a few years ago, and even sometimes during that time of the month. As you may have read on my last blog, Oh Boy! Oh Boy! It’s almost here! mother nature was blessing me with something. But in all seriousness, we all go through it. We all get cravings or are constantly tempted to eat something that doesn’t necessarily go according to our meal plan.
Let’s be honest, improving your eating habits is hard, and for some reason this is the exact time when your family decides to be super nice and offer everything they have. But trust me, its doable; it just takes consistency, dedication, discipline and willpower. Always do everything one step at a time.
Most of these cravings are because of our hormones, stress, anxiety or even dehydration. But there are different things that you can do to switch your mindset and avoid them.
Here are 7 tips to help avoid cravings and not fall into temptations:
- Have a hearty breakfast. Eat a good balanced meal with low calories but enough protein and carbs, to help maintain your sugar levels and to help you stay satisfied throughout the day. This is why I love my Herbalife Shakes, because they are super simple and have what my body needs. You can also have eggs with some oatmeal, yogurt with nuts, and others.
- Replace your cravings with healthier options. Choose low processed carbs to keep your blood sugar levels steady. This means, no fries, crackers or chips, and going for whole grains and starchy veggies, such as sweet potatoes, beans, lentils, peas, squash, and others. Bake them instead of frying for a healthier option. Instead of chocolate, try snacking on nuts. If you want ice cream, try a sorbet or frozen yogurt. There’s always healthy options.
- Snack throughout the day. Technically, to maintain a healthy metabolism, you should be eating every two to three hours. This means that you should be having your three main meals and having healthy snacks in between, to keep you satisfied and avoid feeling famished and pigging out.
- Always be prepared. Have a plan. Prep your meals and snacks ahead of time, cook them at home. This will help you avoid having to run to the store or the vending machine for the quick unhealthy solution. Making them at home helps you have control over what goes into your food. Preparation is KEY!
- Drink lots of water throughout the day. Having a glass of water can boost your blood flow and can also help you feel full. Most of the time we feel hungry, when in reality our body is just dehydrated and needs some water. Try using a big water bottle like this really cute one, to help you keep track of the amount you have daily. I currently have a gallon of water a day. 3 Liter BPA Free Reusable Plastic Drinking Water Bottle Jug Container w/ Hand Holder Canteen and Stainless Steel Cap – Pink
- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause your body to crave more calories to be able to get the energy it needs to keep going.
- Change your mindset. Be mindful when you experience these cravings. Visualize your goal. Is having that going to get you closer to it? What are the consequences of you having it? Say “I don’t” instead of “I can’t”. What you say to yourself plays a big role in your life. Saying “I can’t” is sending a message to your brain that you are forcing yourself not to do something, while saying “I don’t” is reminds you that you are in control and have power over what you do.
I can’tis a restriction and I don’t is a choice.
But like I also mentioned on my last blog, if you’re really craving something, just have it. Sometimes depriving ourselves from something will only make the craving bigger. Of course, make sure that it is not something you are doing on a regular basis, because then what is the point of trying to be healthy. Remember, everything in moderation. But if you know you have been behaving, following your plan, then WTH! Just have it!
By the way, don’t forget to Join My Mailing List to get your FREE PDF on a few extra Tips, and receive any updates on more free goodies and new products coming. Don’t forget to ask about my challenges, if you are looking to lose weight, gain muscle, join the Booty Challenge or the Confidence Challenge, whatever goal you have, just ask.